Friday, June 20, 2008

The shrinking newshole

Sources inside LANG have confirmed that the page cuts implemented at the L.A. Daily News will indeed affect the Press-Telegram too. "The same thing is happening at our paper. When it happens to one it happens to all."

The unofficial consensus is that the loss will equal about 12 pages, and will likely be implemented for the next fiscal quarter, sometime this July.

A comment from Reporter-G's blog sums it up:

Pretty soon the DN won't have to have the Times deliver them, it will be cheaper to mail it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW- Thank-you for posting something Socal related.

If we want to know about BANG we can go to their blog right? I wonder how much dialog do they have about the Press-Telegram ?

Anonymous said...

my gosh, the paper is down to next-to-nothing now. how can they cut anymore? every time I think of canceling my subscription I go back to the 32 1/2 years I spent there. how do people work under such conditions? and I only spent three years (dec. 1997-oct 2000) under the 'lean dean' regime.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think they had another 12 pages to spare...it'll be a pamphlet any day now.

Len Cutler said...

If they bring the "quick read" model to SoCal, "pamphlet" is a pretty accurate description for the direction the paper will be headed.

Anonymous said...

Len we are already there.
It take me 5 min max. A good test is if you can go through a cup of Coffee and your not done reading, it its worth a look.

I like to also play a drinking game. Here are the rules.
Every time you find someone who writes a story for the paper but actually does not work for the paper you drink. God do I get hammered.

Things to look for are: For The Press-Telegram, Correspondent, Shirley Wild, John Ferrell, Shirley Gottlieb, VanZant ( Fishing guy ), Dick Wallmeyer, Rich Roberts, Kirby Lee and last but not least the publisher Motivation Mark Ficcara ( works at and for the Breeze. )

DRINK!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Len,

The pamphlet will then lead to further declines in circulation and ad revenues, and MediaNews will then introduce "all the news you can fit on a business card."

Signed,

A CWAer